Sunday, April 3, 2016

Dancing Feels

“You have to love dancing to stick to it. It gives you nothing back, no manuscripts to store away, no paintings to show on walls and maybe hang in museums, no poems to be printed and sold, nothing but that single fleeting moment when you feel alive.”  

-Merce Cunningham

The feeling of dancing is extraordinary. Gives you a sort of rush that is indescribable, it is just an overwhelming feeling of joy, that is just completely surging through your body. You know when something makes sense, because it causes you to smile contagiously and passionately, whenever the thought, speak or action of the topic comes about. And for me, I feel that way with immense gratitude on every discussion of dance.

I may not be the very best one in my dance class, or on my dance team, but I sure do love what I am doing, and can’t imagine ever giving dance up by choice. I want to do it forever, even when I’m anciently old with arthritis in every bone, I hope to always be a dancer. The heart I have gotten from dance, the things I have learned, the experiences I’ve had, the friends I’ve met aren’t even comparable to any other sport of my knowledge. There are so many opportunities, and ever changing ideas in the fields of dance. It is a sport and an art in one that prepares you for so many walks of life.

I am proud to wear the label of a dancer, because it is something I take great pride in, as it brings out my greatest personality, attributes. Motivation, everything. It is the most heart defining passion I could have and I know I am not alone. The feeling of dance is so widely stretched, there are so many words, ideas, examples to be had within it, but the only way of truly experiencing what dance can bring you is in doing it yourself. So dance, dance, dance and never look back, because your heart will be full, troubles empty, mind relaxed and happiness lingering longer than a child’s trip to Disney World.

~Julia Brewer

 

No comments:

Post a Comment